Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/sending payments

Question
QUESTION: Just filed taxes on turbo for my sister and she owes money.  I selected that she will send in a check.  We have the voucher for her to send in with payment, but she cannot pay in full.  If she sends in partial payments along with her voucher each month, will they accept it and apply it toward her balance, or is she required to submit an installment plan application first?

ANSWER: Jim,

Two scenarios here.  First, if she can pay the balance off within 120 days of the due date, she can call the IRS and make arrangements.  If not, she must apply for an installment agreement using Form 9465. There is a fee involved in addition to interest on the balance due.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Well, she did neither.  They couldn't be reached by phone, and when she tried to apply online for a payment arrangement, it didn't recognize her in the system.  Thus, she did not set up any payment arrangements, nor send in any applications.  She's simply paying online using the IRS approved payment processors with her debit card.  She showed me the confirmation emails and it does show her name and ssn and amount paid.  Do you think this will be ok, and that the payments will be applied correctly to her balance?  There is a chance it will be paid off within the 120 days, however it may take a little longer.

Answer
Jim,

There is no doubt it will be properly applied.

At this point, there is no telling what the IRS will do. If I were guessing, I would say that if she pays it off in 120 days, it will be done by the time they catch it.  They will likely bill her for penalties and interest when they take notice of it.

Worst case scenario, they will send her a deficiency letter, which she can respond to and make payments.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA