Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing tax


I moved to Croatia with my husband 2013, we did not file tax return for 2014 and I am just wondering if we had to. My husband earrings for 2014 is around 1,500 $ average currency converted. Is this amount under must to file? If not please let me know or if we have to file how we do it? Here is Croatia no expert, is it possible that you can do it?
Thank you very much,



Dear Jadranka,

If your husband earnings for the entire year is $1,500 and you did not have other income, then your household is below the threshold for the filing obligations. See

Even if this is his monthly salary, you are still below the filing threshold.

However, if you have any - even small - income from the U.S. sources (bank interest, dividends, rental property) - you are required to file and report your worldwide income. You will most likely be exempt from any taxes yet reporting is necessary.

Please also be advised that  you have to report your foreign bank accounts if the aggregated value on the accounts exceeds $10K at any time during the year.

Should you need assistance - now or in the future - we can certainly help.

If you would like to engage our services, you should sign up as a new client: Sign Up Page

That page lists our Flat Fee structure - in short we charge $350 for Federal Tax return. We also offer 20% discount to clients filing for 3 or more years at once.

Once you sign up you will receive access to your personal File Cabinet as well as our Tax Questionnaire. Your answers to the questionnaire will provide us with an overview of your situation and be used to prepare your return.

Please feel free to ask us questions or express concerns. Don't worry if you think your situation is challenging - we often deal with such cases and have successfully resolved many challenging cases for our clients in the past. Either way - we're here if you have any tax queries.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.