Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Payment plan with unfiled taxes?

I have a back tax debt for 2007 of $13k. My taxes are filed up until 2011. I am gathering the info necessary to file 2012-2014 in the next coming months.

I am wondering if i am able to contact the IRS and start a payment plan now of this $13k debt with my unfiled taxes. If I can, should I if I will likely have more back taxes owed when the last 3 years are filed?

I am wondering if it's better to start paying now, or figure out all I owe at once and then start a payment plan on the whole thing.

Thank you very much for your time!

Thanks for your question.

The sooner you start paying them the better it will be for you. It shows that you are attempting to get right with them. Also, if you file before they contact you, it will go better for you.

File Form 9465 to request an installment agreement. There are fees for doing this. Since you owe more than $10,000, it is not automatically approved.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University