Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Payment plan with unfiled taxes?

Question
Hello,

I have a back tax debt for 2007 of $13k. My taxes are filed up until 2011. I am gathering the info necessary to file 2012-2014 in the next coming months.

I am wondering if i am able to contact the IRS and start a payment plan now of this $13k debt with my unfiled taxes. If I can, should I if I will likely have more back taxes owed when the last 3 years are filed?

I am wondering if it's better to start paying now, or figure out all I owe at once and then start a payment plan on the whole thing.

Thank you very much for your time!

Answer
Anne,

Thanks for your question.

The sooner you start paying them the better it will be for you. It shows that you are attempting to get right with them. Also, if you file before they contact you, it will go better for you.

File Form 9465 to request an installment agreement. There are fees for doing this. Since you owe more than $10,000, it is not automatically approved.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA