Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Spouses residing in different states

Question
QUESTION: My wife and I currently both live in illinois.  We are retired and also have a home in Michigan.  I would like to become a resident of Michigan and she plans on remaining a resident of Illinois.  How will this affect our taxes?

Craig

ANSWER: Residence is driven by taxpayer intent.   You can still file matried joint for irs.  states will be a little more complicated, but not impossible.  Not Sure if those states have a marries separate option but I presume they do.

If yiu are not crystal clear about how this works out and document impeccably, the "loser" state Illinois for you (and Michigan for her)  will likely both argue you are residents.

Why do you want to do this?

Is it solet to make the sale of obe qualify as principal residence to avoid gains?

QUESTION: The reason for the change is the wife wants to stay close to the kids. I don't like the congestion and want to live 4 and a 1/2 hours away where I can fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors. I also don't like Illinois restrictive gun laws.

Thanks,
Craig

Answer
Welcome to my world (ct restrictive gun laws)

As long as you follow the true intent.. register to vote, go to church get mail. Go to doctors etc
you should be fine.

State returns will be a little convoluted but doable.

Reach out next year for help if you nEed. I will give you my personal contacts  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa