Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Deceased taxpayer

Question
My single mother died in February. I am the executor of her estate, which has a value of less than $100K. Her retirement income was approx $2000 per month. I plan on selling her house. At federal tax time,whose tax returns need to be filed? Is one necessary for the estate because of the house sale or does the house sale get included elsewhere? Is a separate return needed for her individually, due to her 2 months of retirement income? Thanks for your time.

Answer
I am sorry for your loss.

Yes, a 2015 1040 is due for mom

Are you the sole heir? How quickly will,you probate her assets and make final distributions?

You probably can get it done and filed without need for an estate income tax return.   Care needed to report any income earned from Feb until final distrubutions...  and also for any expenses.

Is retirement income IRA or work 401k or pension? Does someone inherit that money?

You can transfer the house to the beneficiary(ies) and then sell it if you want to expedite the process.

What state are you located?

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa