You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing Status Change During The Year


Hi William,

We divorced in June. My just-divorced ex-wife and I own a house which mortgage we're paying. As per the divorce agreement we have the house for sale, and after the sale, the proceeds will be split in half after paying off its real estate taxes

Question 1) Is there any way we could still file jointly our personal income taxes for 2015?

Question 2) As my 2015 W4 with my employer has been for filing "married" for half of the year, (I have 1 allowance in Box 5) my concern is that if I change the W4 now to reflect my new "single" status, at the end of the year I might end up owing the IRS and might even be fined. Do you think this is likely to be the case? Is there a way to calculate the right numbers to update my W4 after 6 months into the year to avoid underpaying?

Thank you in advance William



you can not legally filed joint.   that decision went out the window with divorce.  status is determined at midnight dec 31

you wont be fined, but you will likely OWE lots.  Change it immediately.

wait for one payroll period.  then do a projected return as you will likely file in 2015.  estimate tax due.  subtract amount paid in so far.  divide remaining number of pay periods left in year using new payroll withholding amount claiming single.

if you still owe per the estimate, use "withold additional" box and file yet another w4 and have payroll take out MORE tax.

if you still need help, send me a new question and mark it private. I will give you personal contact information.


Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.