Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Question regarding taxation of LLC

Question
I have a multi-member LLC treated as a partnership. My question is would it be possible for a member to withdraw more than their allocated percentage of profits they pay on come tax time? Is paying taxes on allocated  profits completely separate from an owner withdrawing money from the bank account? Say we bring in $100,000 and I pay taxes on 30% of the profits. Could I theoretically withdraw $35,000 over the period of year without problems? Are profit allocation taxes the same as self-employment tax? And with any withdraws, should it be marked as a member distribution?

Thank you

Answer
Scott,

If a member of the partnership withdraws more than his allocated share of the profits, the excess is treated as a withdrawal of capital and not taxable. If he withdraws more than his capital balance it is a taxable capital gain. A members share of profits is subject to income and self- employment taxes.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA