Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Taxability of pastor taking a group to Israel

I went on a tour to Israel with an established tour group. The tour company said that because I was a full-time pastor if I agreed to take a group of people with me and advertise my going to Israel to the congregation, I could get a 25% discount on my cost. And for every paying person who signed up to go in my group I could get a 10% discount on my cost. I ended up having four people go with me so I got a 40% additional discount along with the 25% discount. Are these discounts I got taxable income? If they are, where I do indicate them on my tax forms, on Schedule C (and therefore they are not only taxable but I have to pay Social Security tax on them)? Or do I put them on 1040 as Miscellaneous income? If on 1040, do I need to pay Social Security tax on this as well?

Thanks for your question.

The discounts are not taxable income. It's kind of like iif you are buying a car. The sticker price is $30,000, but you negotiate a price of $25,000.the $5,000 discount is not taxable.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University