Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Dependants

Hello John, I have a question about adding dependants to my tax return next year. So my fiance and I just had a child last month (July) and will be adding her as a dependant. I would like to know if I could add my fiance as well? We have been living together for over a year now and she has only worked one week this year (January) and had made around $100-$200 income. She is also a full-time student, receiving financial aid. However, due to the birth of our child in July, she has taken this semester off (August) and will not return until next year. We live in Arizona. Based on the information I provided, could I potentially claim both my daughter and fiance and also claim Head of Household? Please let me know if I need to provide further information. Thank you John for your time.

Sincerely, Jared C.

Thanks for your question.

If you provide over half the support for your daughter and she lived in your household more than half the time you can claim a dependency exemption and file as head of household. Assuming you paid more than half the cost of maintaining the household. And provided over half the support for the child.

For your fiancée you can claim her as a dependent if all the folowing apply: she lived in your household for the entire year; you provided over half of her support; her gross income was less than the amount of the dependency exemption.  

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University