You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/filing of corporate return


Must a corporation that has no assets and has been removed from the state's (PA) active records and no longer required to file a PA corporate return, file a federal form (1120)?

you should file a federal return (even if inactive no assets) for as long as the entity exists - and until you dissolve it with the secretary of state. federal purposes, there is no tax.  but the forms have to be sufficiently filled out for the irs to figure out what is going on.  not just the address and EIN - actually input no assets. no activity. etc.

also, just because pa removed it from records does not mean you have terminated your state obligations either.  you should cancel the sec state filing, too.

good luck

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.