Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Joint vs. Separate

Question
When is it beneficial for a married couple to file separately? Usually we file jointly, claim ourselves and 1 child, and we itemize, due to amount of medical bills. This yr is entirely different. My wife's income is approx $45K. My income is $66K from my mother's life insurance and $40K IRA I cashed that I inherited from my mother.I have no employment income. There will also be $48K profit from sale of her home (basis & sale price were $80K). We gave quite a few items to charity (books, clothes, few pieces of furniture), but I realize I can't claim charitable deductions if I can't itemize. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Answer
Ed,

Thanks for your question.

Usually, you have to calculate the taxes both ways to see if there is any advantage to filing a separate return. When one spouse has significantly higher income than the other if sometimes is to their advantage to file separate. most of the time, however, it is less costly to file jointly.

I would point out to you a couple of things, however. Life insurance proceeds paid by reason of death are not normally taxable. If the basis and the sale price on the home were both $80K you don't have any tax liability there. The basis of the home if you inherited it is the fair market value as of date of death.

Frankly, it sounds as if you may be in over your head on this. I would recommend getting a qualified CPA or Enrolled agent to prepare your return.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA