Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/liquidating investments and tax consequences for a retiree

Question
hi - I'm (newly) responsible for managing my retired elderly single mother's finances. I'm uncomfortable with the amount of her investments that are in stock funds. I'm guessing that there have been significant gains over the years. My concern is that there is enough money to cover her living expenses and I don't think she has any reason to be invested at this point in her life, 91 years old.

I would like to get a handle on how to decide what to sell and how much to sell so that I can optimize the gains and avoid paying taxes as much as possible. My questions are:

1. Do I need to see a professional, and if so, who should I choose, a CPA or ??

2. What can I do to educate myself? Even if I go for a consultation, I would like to have some sort of foundation/background in the subject.

Maybe it's not that complicated, and I just need to look at her tax bracket and play with the numbers to see what might trigger bad tax consequences. I just don't know.

Thank you,
rob

Answer
it really depends upon magnitude.  how much and what does she own and her original basis. etc.   and if you even need to liquidate any to provide for her care.  

at 91, not many people would have her in anything other than basic cash generating accounts - cd, interest, basic non volatile funds, etc.

It might be better to switch some and leave others alone - getting the step up when she passes.  You have a fiduciary conundrum if you are both manager now and have _other_ beneficiaries to contend with.  Things you do now could affect mom and the future beneficiaries in different ways.

That is probably your biggest quandary.  

If you make a new question and mark it private (little box you have to affirmatively check in a NEW question - not a reply to this). I will give you my contact and we can chat live on the phone or skype if you want.  

P

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa