Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/TQ

Question
If   someone has not file taxes or file incorrectly in US in the past; how many years does IRS or State have to go behind him and ask for the tax payment, penalty etc?

Answer
There is no statute of limitations for the non-filed returns. The IRS and the State can go after the non-filer for the indefinite number of years.

If the IRS has not yet contacted you, then in order to catch up with your filing obligations your should file at least 3 years of federal and state tax returns - ideally 6 years. This way you will establish the statute of limitations and the IRS will not look farther beyond.

In some cases, delinquent taxpayers may qualify for the Streamlined Offshore Procedure where 3 years of back filing is sufficient, however, this program is a subject to certain qualification rules.

See http://www.taxesforexpats.com/we-help/sp.html

Hope this helps
I.J.Zemelman, EA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

IJ Zemelman, EA MBA