Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/C Corp

Question
Good morning.  My dad passed away last year and he was 100% owner of a C-Corp.  He was a US Citizen.  Unfortunately he did not have a will so my family in going through probate to figure out who will own the shares of the Company.  My question is that the C-Corp has Accumulated Earnings and whether the court decides me or my mom as the owner of the C-Corp, does the C-Corp have to distribute the dividends once I or my mom becomes the owner of the Company?  Thanks.

Answer
Javier,

Thanks for your question.

From a tax standpoint, the only thing that happens at that point is the transfer of ownership of the shares in the corporation.

The basis in the shares is the fair market value as of date of death. Since the shares were not publicly traded you will need to have the shares valued.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA