Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/C Corp

Good morning.  My dad passed away last year and he was 100% owner of a C-Corp.  He was a US Citizen.  Unfortunately he did not have a will so my family in going through probate to figure out who will own the shares of the Company.  My question is that the C-Corp has Accumulated Earnings and whether the court decides me or my mom as the owner of the C-Corp, does the C-Corp have to distribute the dividends once I or my mom becomes the owner of the Company?  Thanks.

Thanks for your question.

From a tax standpoint, the only thing that happens at that point is the transfer of ownership of the shares in the corporation.

The basis in the shares is the fair market value as of date of death. Since the shares were not publicly traded you will need to have the shares valued.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University