Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Executive pay

Question
Are tax benefits that retired CEOs receive supposed to be taxable as ordinary income? A few years ago, the details of all the benefits and perks available to Jack Welch of GE were made public by his wife in divorce proceedings. How do companies keep track of those if they are taxable income to the retired execs? 1099 or W-2?

Answer
it depends. some are wages. some arent. some were included in fica base when "earned" and not paid as w2.  

company hr and payroll have to keep track of it.  many times w2 is correct - even years after departure.

what is your real/underlying question or concern?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa