Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Multi member LLC

Question
Hello. I own and operate my own taxi cab (independent contractor with cab company) and decided to operate as a multi memeber LLC. My wife is inactive in the business but I believe that IRS will tax us as a partnership. Here are my questions. 1. How do I pay myself? 2.Should I operate as an independent contractor under my LLC or should I establish a salary for myself? My wife is an inactive member.....can I simply apply to be treated as a single member LLC for tax purposes?

Answer
Wardell,

Thanks for your question.  I can answer your specific questions, but they indicate to me you need ongoing professional advice. I suggest you employ the services of a competent CPA or Enrolled Agent.

If she is a part owner of the business you must treat it as a multi mr brat LLC, probably filing a Form 1065 as a partnership. If she's an inactive member, why not remove her?

You can't be an independent contractor in your own business, and you can't receive a salary as an owner of a partnership. You can make periodic withdrawals from the business, which reduce your capital account. You will pay taxes on the profit earned by the business regardless of your level of withdrawals. Profits add to your capital account.

Hope this helps

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA