Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Any Tax owed on 401K?

Question
MEdusa,w
I think kind of a weird situation, I would greatly appreciate your advice. I worked for an employer from January through April in 2014. At this time I had a one time salary deferral in January of $30 into an employer sponsored 401K. This $30 stayed in this 401K account until the end of 2014 when I received a statement from the plan administrator that the account was in effect closed and the balance was now $0 as the $30 in my account all went to pay administrative expenses charged for the quarter ending 12/31/14. According to the plan administrator, this was not considered a withdraw or distribution but merely the payment of expenses I owed and I do not need to declare this $30 anywhere on my federal or CA state taxes for it isn't considered income or reportable period for tax purposes. I just need verification on this. Thank you.

Answer
really? for $30, you stay up at night?

to figure out if you "owed" the $30 or your employer did, you will need a copy of the summary plan description (SPD) from the company.  In there, it will indicate whether or not they (employer) should have paid the admin costs (is usually the case).  I doubt that the custodian was able to charge you the $30. You can also ask them to prove this is the case (that account holders were liable for admin charges).

if it was an admin fee and properly charged to your account, it is not a distribution and not reportable.

good luck. but i wouldnt worry about it. to be honest

p

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa