Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Travel assignment


Hello, I am wondering if I can take money for a housing stipend if I decide to drive the over 50 miles each way for a travel assignment.  If I drive, say, 70 mi each way to a temporary (13 wk) assignment, will it be legal for me to reap the tax benefits of a housing stipend?

Housing stipend is generally included in income if you don't have to provide receipts (accountable plan rules)

But there are provisions for a "pe tn diem" which does not include income if per diem rules and rates and reporting is adhered to.

I'd ask your payroll dept how they will handle an allowance for the monies if you don't submit hotel receipts.  Also if they will allow offset instead of the miles if they want to include the hotel money.

Also. You can only deduct mikes beyond your normal commute. If you already drive 10 miles one way, yiu would only deduct the incremental 40 above the 10.

But short story is with proper planning yiu can avoid inclusion  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]