Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Travel assignment

Question
Hello, I am wondering if I can take money for a housing stipend if I decide to drive the over 50 miles each way for a travel assignment.  If I drive, say, 70 mi each way to a temporary (13 wk) assignment, will it be legal for me to reap the tax benefits of a housing stipend?

Answer
Housing stipend is generally included in income if you don't have to provide receipts (accountable plan rules)

But there are provisions for a "pe tn diem" which does not include income if per diem rules and rates and reporting is adhered to.

I'd ask your payroll dept how they will handle an allowance for the monies if you don't submit hotel receipts.  Also if they will allow offset instead of the miles if they want to include the hotel money.

Also. You can only deduct mikes beyond your normal commute. If you already drive 10 miles one way, yiu would only deduct the incremental 40 above the 10.

But short story is with proper planning yiu can avoid inclusion  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa