Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/House-joint ownership

The home I live in was in a trust between my aunt and mother. Aunt passed away. The house has had ownership transferred to me and my mother. we are listed as co-owners on the deed and tax rolls. What kind of effect will this have in regards to taxes? I have-till this point-filed my taxes 1040. Looking for some guidance/advice how to approach this years tax season

sorry for the loss of your aunt.

does mom live there too?

does the trust have provisions that you should be co-owners?  the deed and tax roll should say trust for the benefit of mom and aunt. and follow those provisions.

where the trust provisions to put you on the deed?  was the trust terminated upon aunts death?

who pays the tax?  you, mom, trust?

what else did aunt have at death?  where did it go?  do you have a copy of the trust documents?  a copy of her will?  who was the trustee?  who was her executor?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell