Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/selling shares in a mutual fund

Hello, John!

I want to sell some shares in a mutual fund. I know that I will be paying taxes when selling.

How do I determine how much tax I owe?
Is there an IRS publication that provides the details on how to calculate what I would owe?
Or is there a better place to get an answer?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your question.

You will receive a 1099-B form from your broker or mutual fund company. This will indicate the sale proceeds and your cost basis. Enter these items on Form 8949, and carry it over to Schedule D of the 1040. If the shares were held for more than 12 months, the gain will be subject to the capital gains rate, which can vary from zero to 23.8%. If not, it would be taxed at ordinary rates. The rate in either case depends on your total taxable income.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University