Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax questions

Question
I have some tax questions.  First, I had a home built in 2015.  I paid $995 in origination fees on the construction loan and $400 in origination fees on the permanent financing.  Is it all deductible at once or do I have to spread some of it over the life of the loan?  Second,  I have a 22 year old son who does not live with me nor do I claim him as a dependent.  I do carry him on my insurance and sometimes pay his co-pays for doctor visits.  Are those expenses deductible?  Lastly,  I have a rental real estate business.  In 2015 I purchased a lawn mower and a wood chipper to use for my business.  Are they items I can fully deduct or do I need to capitalize them?  Thank you for your time.

Frank

Answer
Frank,

The fees on both loans can be deducted in 2015.

The expenses for your son are not deductible. If he were a dependent, you could deduct medical costs you pay for him.

The items you purchased for your business can be expensed under Sec 179, presuming they are used 100% in the business. If less than that, you must pro-rate the amount of expenses. If under 50% you cannot use Sec 179.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA