Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/depreciation

Question
QUESTION: hi john, my LLC owns residential rental real estate which i bought this year.  i understand i can deprecate real estate property. however, the existing stove, refrigerator, furnace, water heater still works.

can i deprecate existing furnace/water heater and appliance that i acquire as part of the home purchase? thanks

ANSWER: Rob,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, you can depreciate those items if they are being used in the rental. The furnace would normally be included as a part of the housing unit. Don't forget that you cannot depreciate land, so the land value must be subtracted from the cost basis to determine the depreciable amount of the housing unit.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Thanks john, so you are saying furnace should be part of housing unit. Does this mean I need to add up housing cost basis and price of furnace? For example, the depreciable amount is $67k. So if price of furnace is $1500 then, my depreciable value that i should enter is $67k+$1500=$68,500?
If yes, how do I determine the value of the furnace if it was already there?

Answer
You don't need to know the value of the furnace. It's part of the house and depreciated with it. Only if you install a new unit would it be depreciated separately. If the depreciable amount of the house is w$67k, that includes the furnace.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA