Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing taxes jointly during a divorce

Question
John,
I am a stay at home mom of two small children. I am also going through a pretty nasty divorce.  My attorney suggested however that we file jointly, since I do not yet have a job - & I am the custodial parent.  So, I went to our CPA with my information, & then my "ex" went on a different day to the CPA w/his job information.  The CPA said she could have the return deposited among 2 separate personal accounts (mine & his).  However, I am unclear as to how this can be divided.  Apparently, my ex does not want to divide the return in half -- because he's the one with a job.  But for now -& the past 3 years, raising my chidren has been my job!  I have not yet signed the return, & don't want to unless I get half of the return - which I feel is quite fair. Can you tell me if this is possible?...or what outcomes are possible?

Answer
Kelli,

Thanks for your question.

Form 8888 can be used to allocate the refund in any manner you (and your husband) choose by dollar amount. The bottom line is that the two of you must come to an agreement on the issue.

I would add that it is very difficult for the CPA to be impartial in this situation and you might explore retaining a CPA to negotiate on your behalf with the other CPA if you feel he is not being impartial. The threat of bringing in another party may be enough to make the CPA more impartial.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA