You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Gambling taxes in California


I was a California resident till march of last year. I moved to Kansas. Before moving to Kansas, I had a job interview and bought a lottery ticket back then. I won 10,000$. I only claimed the 10 000$ after moving to Kansas and and established residency. Do I still owe California taxes because I bought the ticket while a California resident just visiting Kansas? Do I only owe taxes to the state of Kansas because I claimed after moving to Kansas? Do I have to pay both states taxes?
Thank you very much.

ANSWER: you owe tax to California regardless of where you live or lived. you will pay tax there. file a part year return.  and then a part year Kansas return. not too terribly difficult.

if you cant find an hr block to do for $200 or so, come back here

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank yo very much What I meant was is the 10K considered income I earned while living in CA or since I claimed those winnings once i moved to KS, it is considered income earned in KS.

Very clearly income earned while in california.

It won't mather if yiu were already a resident of kansas. Same result as if you were even never a resident of California, but won the 10k while on vacation.

But because yiu were, ibdeed, a resident of California - delaying the "win" until you live in Kansas changes nothing  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.