Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Gambling taxes in California

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I was a California resident till march of last year. I moved to Kansas. Before moving to Kansas, I had a job interview and bought a lottery ticket back then. I won 10,000$. I only claimed the 10 000$ after moving to Kansas and and established residency. Do I still owe California taxes because I bought the ticket while a California resident just visiting Kansas? Do I only owe taxes to the state of Kansas because I claimed after moving to Kansas? Do I have to pay both states taxes?
Thank you very much.

ANSWER: you owe tax to California regardless of where you live or lived. you will pay tax there. file a part year return.  and then a part year Kansas return. not too terribly difficult.

if you cant find an hr block to do for $200 or so, come back here

QUESTION: Thank yo very much What I meant was is the 10K considered income I earned while living in CA or since I claimed those winnings once i moved to KS, it is considered income earned in KS.

Answer
Very clearly income earned while in california.

It won't mather if yiu were already a resident of kansas. Same result as if you were even never a resident of California, but won the 10k while on vacation.

But because yiu were, ibdeed, a resident of California - delaying the "win" until you live in Kansas changes nothing  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa