Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/rental income loss

Question
Hello:

I listed my condo for rent April 1 and it did not rent until Mid June. I am an active participant so can I claim the $2500 loss in rental income?
Also, if I were to depreciate the property, I know to subtract the price of the land, but the price varies every year. Do I use the price at the time I purchased the property or when I listed it for rental?
Thanks

Answer
Nina,

Thanks for your question.

The loss is limited if your modified adjusted gross income exceeds $100,000.

The IRS will reduce your basis for depreciation allowed or allowable so you may as well take it. Depreciation is calculated on the lower of your cost basis or the fair market value at the time it was converted to rental use.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA