Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Write 0 or 1?

Question
Dear Mr. Stancil,

In the past, my older brother always advised me to write zero for the tax form given at employment. I think it's for allowances. I've always done that until now. I trust my brother because he's pretty smart and he's success in his life.

Last year, I secured new work and I wrote "one". I was assured the right answer was one because I was single and I was only claiming myself.

What specifically is the benefit that I receive if I write "zero" or "one"? Is there more of a refund at the end of the year?

Thank you for your time during your busy schedule.

Sincerely,

David

Answer
David,

The lower the number you place on your W-4, the more will be withheld from your pay check. Putting a zero would mean a larger refund (or less to pay when you file) but you're giving the government an interest free loan because it your money you're getting back

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA