Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Capital Loss Reporting

Question
For particular reasons I would like to file a 1040A rather than a 1040.  I do have capital losses which have been reported to IRS.  The Basis has also been reported to IRS, so they can see it's a loss.  I would not benefit from reporting a loss on my taxes.  Do I have to report the loss and use 1040/schedule D or can I use 1040A and not report/deduct the loss?

Thank You!

Answer
Eileen

Thanks for your question.

You can leave it off it you want a hassle from the.IRS. Their computerized document matching program will detect that you have not reported the 1099-b on your return and send you a CP-2000 and likely a bill for taxes you don't owe.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA