Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/contractor deduction

Question
Hello and thanks for donating your time and expertise.

I have a very small business and only hire independent contractors - frequently, I will hire some and pay them $X plus lunch for a day's work.

I would like to be able to deduct the meal expense as a regular labor cost since lunch is part of the compensation and not entertainment.

Do I simply add the cost of the meal to the $X I pay them?

In other words, if I offer them $100 plus lunch to work the day and lunch is $12, can I simply claim $112 as a labor cost?

Thank you

Don

Answer
Don,

Thanks for your question.

That depends. If you report the amount paid and the lunch on the 1099-MISC you give the worker, you would include the full amount of the lunch. In this case, you should indicate that $12 (or whatever amount) is included in the number as meals.This allows him to treat it properly on his taxes. If you don't report the lunch on the 1099-MISC you can only deduct half the lunch. Any lunch amount on the 1099 does not have to be on the actual 1099 itself.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA