Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/corporation gifting

Question
Can an owner of a corporation who is closing out their business gift a car to a family member?  If so, is there a tax responsibility on either party?

Answer
Lori,

Thanks for your question.

That would be considered a distribution by the corporation to the shareholder, valued at the fair market value of the car. If there were more than one shareholder in the corporation, it could create a disproportionate distribution with potential adverse effects on the corporation and the shareholder.

It would then be considered a gift to the family member by the shareholder, possibly requiring the filing of a gift tax return depending on the value of the car, although it is likely that no gift tax would be due.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA