Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Distribution of money from trust after death of the grantor

Question
My father, who had set up a standard type revocable living trust, died last year.  After his death, all the assets were gathered to the trust bank account and the money distributed to the beneficiaries, his 6 children.  I wished to give some of my money to my children since they need it more than me.  To simplify things, the money, $20,000 each, was sent directly from the trust bank account to them instead of me.  Since I was essentially giving the gift to them, I had planned to file a gift tax return to report the gift and split the gifts with my husband. If this is not correct, who would report this?  No one is going to actually pay any tax but don't want to create a problem.  Wish this had been done differently.

Answer
Mary,

Thanks for your question.

Since you directed where the funds were to be distributed, it is treated as a distribution to you as an inheritance. And a gift from you to your kids. Since you are utlizing gift splitting, you are correct in filing a gift tax return, but no tax.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA