Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing Tax


I am a green card holder since Feb.2015. I am working in Saudi Arabia for an American company. I come home every quarter 3 - 4 times a year. This is the first time I am going to file my tax. Please advise me on following Points.
Do I get tax exemption on the foreign Income.?
I bought a Condo  jointly with my wife as first house owners. We have recently rented. Is there a separate tax for the rent income  which only started in Feb 2016?
Do I file jointly with my wife who is not an earning member.
Any other advise you would give as this is my first time. Thanking you in anticipation.

P Malik

Dear Pervez,

Thank you for your question. You asked it at the right time.

It is very important to file the US tax return timely and correctly for the first year when you became a legal US resident (obtained a green card).

You must file US tax return for 2015. You qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion up to $102K per year as a Bona Fide resident of Saudi Arabia.

Rental income will be reported on your US tax return, it is not a separate filing.

You are not required to file jointly but you have the option to file jointly with your spouse, which will reduce your tax rate significantly.

For additional advice in this matter please see and or contact us directly through

Hope this helps

I.J.Zemelman, EA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.