Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/personal use of a vehicle for business

I work for a large corporation but my home is my office.  I use my personal vehicle to make sales calls.  Because my office is my home I'd like to know if all mileage to visit clients isconsidered business mileage or do I count the mileage to my first call as commuting miles.  My company reimburses me for mileage but claims the mileage to the first call is personal commuting miles.  I know I'm not going to change their reimbursement policy but I'm hoping to be able to claim the mileage to the first calls as an unreimbursed expense on my taxes.

Thanks for your question.

The answer depends on whether you qualify for a home office. If you qualify, the first and last trips of the day are not considered commuting and are not deductible or reimbursable. You must have are area in your home that is used regularly and exclusively for business purposes and it must be your principal place of business. In addition, as an employee, the home office must be for the convenience of the employer. This means that the employer does not provide you an office and you are forced to work out of your home.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University