Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/personal use of a vehicle for business

Question
I work for a large corporation but my home is my office.  I use my personal vehicle to make sales calls.  Because my office is my home I'd like to know if all mileage to visit clients isconsidered business mileage or do I count the mileage to my first call as commuting miles.  My company reimburses me for mileage but claims the mileage to the first call is personal commuting miles.  I know I'm not going to change their reimbursement policy but I'm hoping to be able to claim the mileage to the first calls as an unreimbursed expense on my taxes.

Answer
Doug,

Thanks for your question.

The answer depends on whether you qualify for a home office. If you qualify, the first and last trips of the day are not considered commuting and are not deductible or reimbursable. You must have are area in your home that is used regularly and exclusively for business purposes and it must be your principal place of business. In addition, as an employee, the home office must be for the convenience of the employer. This means that the employer does not provide you an office and you are forced to work out of your home.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA