Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Sales tax

Question
Hello Mr. Stancil,

My cousin has a website, in which she sells women's clothing.  She has 5 spots left and offered them to me; to sell earrings.  She told me I am responsible for incorporating tax within the price of the earrings.  I did research to find out how much tax to charge, but became confused.  I will do my business in Chicago. From what I understand, I must charge 10.25% tax to Illinois residents. But I am stumped regarding the following:

Do I charge that same amount to everyone, regardless of where they live? Or

Do I charge tax based on where the customer live? If so, how do I find out what to tax for each state?

Also
Does the 10.25% tax for Illinois include local and state? I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Than you
Renee

Answer
Renee,

Thanks for your question.

Since you are based in Illinois, you are only responsible to collect sales tax for shipments to Illinois addresses. I am not familiar with the Illinois laws, but you would need to register with the Department of Revenue to collect and remit the taxes collected. They would provide information about the rate. Some states only subject online sales to the state rate, others include the local rate.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/businesses/taxinformation/sales/rot.htm

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA