Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Second home for daughter while a dependent student ly if you are cha

Question
QUESTION: I have been treating the home as a rental for taxes. I was told this might not be correct. If I need to correct prior years to show as a second home, is there any issue?

ANSWER: Barbara,

Thanks for your question.

It would be treated as a rental only if you are charging her rent at fair market value.

If you are charging rent, bit not market value, it is a rental not-for profit. Rent would be shown on line 21 as other reviewers nome. Otherwise deductible items would be deducted on Schedule A. If rent minus those item still results in a profit, other rental expenses are miscellaneous itemized deductions up yo the amount of profit shown. No loss can be taken.

If you're not charging rent, it is simply a second home.

You need to amend any return in which the proper treatment was not given to the house. Do this by fil is Form 1040X for each year involved.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Thank you. How many years can be amended?

ANSWER: That depends.

Normally, the statue is 3 years. However, if there is a substantial understatement of taxes due, it is extended to 6 years. A substantial understatement is 25% of the tax owed. Finally, if the IRS determines if a false or fraudulent return was filed, there is no statute of limitations. In my opinion, your situation is one in which a false return has been filed.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Yes, thank you. How is the sale handled for a not for profit vs second home?

Answer
Either way, the gain is taxable since it does not qualify for exclusion as your main home. If you took any depreciation on the house, any profit represented by depreciation is recaptured and taxed at a maximum rate of 25%.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA