Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/tax brackets

Question
I made 71,000 last year and my husband made 62,400. We both claimed 0 dependents. Why is the government taking a larger percentage of taxes out of my paycheck? We approximated 17%  out and 11% from his taxes. We fall into the 15% tax bracket so it seems like they are taking out the incorrect percentage from both of us. Can you help us figure this out?

Answer
Melissa,

Thanks for your question. If you try to make sense of the withholding tables, you'll probably go crazy.

However, the short answer is that each of you are withheld based on your income. You make more, so a higher percentage is withheld from you. Another factor might be that you specified withholding at the single rate on your W-4.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA