Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Identity Theft


Hi i recently moved back to my country. I had filed last year for 2014 tax period but my friend helped me file.Well this year she had my daughters info and has claimed my daughter in her taxes . I did not know until last week . Am i able to file identity theft on her through IRS .My daughter is a minor or can you guide me to the right channel to prevent my daughter info been used..not just for income tax. I resided in the state of Tx and so does she. Thanks.


Thanks for your question. If they are using your daughter's they may also be using youre.

File a Form 14039 with the IRS indicating the ID theft of your daughter's SSN, along with a form for each family member.

1. You should also file a complaint with the FTC at

2. Contact one of the three major credit bureaus to place a ‘fraud alert’ on your credit records:
Equifax,, 1-800-766-0008
Experian,, 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion,, 1-800-680-7289

3. Contact your financial institutions, and close any financial or credit accounts opened without your permission or tampered with by identity thieves.

4. If your SSN is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, the IRS recommends these additional steps:
Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided or, if instructed, go to
Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, if your efiled return rejects because of a duplicate filing under your SSN or you are instructed to do so. Use a fillable form at, print, then attach the form to your return and mail according to instructions.
Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper.

5. Contact the local police or sheriff and inform them of the situation. You may be able to press charges.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Stancil, CPA


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at


I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

©2017 All rights reserved.