Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Write off vacant land in a business.

Question
How to write off Raw/Vacant Land in a business as a contractor/landscaper?

I am a landscape designer in Marin county California and I own Mystical Landscapes which is a landscape design and installation company.  I need to know of ways to write off Raw/Vacant Land in a business as a contractor and as a landscaper.  I have recently purchased a vacant land for myself and I need to know if there is a way to write it off on my business to save on taxes.

Answer
Dane,

Thanks for your question.

Land, unlike buildings and other assets, do not depreciate. Therefore the cost must be included on the books as an asset and cannot be written off or otherwise depreciated.  When sold, the cost becomes cost of goods sold and is "written off" at that point.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA