Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Attorney Fees

I am an adult living on my own and my father and I are part of a law suit relating to our investments and income.  My father is paying for the entire law suit charges. His tax preparer said we must split the charges between us b/c I am part of the law suit even though I did not pay a dime.He said he'd consider the payment made by my father (the other half) as a gift.  This sound like bad advice.  Wouldn't it be better to have one person deduct all of it?  My fathers income is between 250 & 300 Thousand.  The tax bill close to 100,000. If we both deduct part of it we will lose part of what we can deduct to the 2% AGI rule.  He wants a gift document to be filled out for proof.  Isn't this crazy?

your father can deduct 100% of the fees he paid to the lawyer as 2% in the pursuit of income on schedule A IF IF IF he did not pay you wouldn't have to (ie. the lawyer agreed to bill only him and you go for a free ride as beneficiary of the legal pursuit's favorable outcome).

"... part of a lawsuit..." there are others? family members?  non family non related?

it doesn't matter if it is better (which it would generally to whomever had lower income) but the point is who incurred the liability to pay - your dad, you or both of you?   if you both owe the lawyer and he paid all of your bill too, then yes it is a payment of a gift (which then requires a gift tax form be paid as it is more than the annual allowance!))))

Id be curious to know more about the lawsuit - who is the defendant, what were the particulars, why you have an action against them, what were the wrongs that gave rise to an action, was the action settled?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell