Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Employer included expense reimbursement as income

Question
Hello John. I worked for a company during part of 2015 where I was required to maintain a corporate card in my name. I received direct deposit reimbursements from the company to pay the card bill. Total monies received in this way are over $2000 and were included in my total income for the company. Turbo Tax doesn't really help me figure out how to claim this correctly, since it wasn't actually income! Perhaps you can help. Thank you!

Answer
Rebecca,

Thanks for your question.

You company did a number on you. Since it does not meet the criteria for an accountable reimbursable plan, The reimbursements are income to you. You can deduct the expenses incurred as miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A. To receive a tax advantage you can only deduct them if you are itemizing deductions, and you can only deduct Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions that exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA