Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Filing status living abroad

Question
Hi John,

I have a friend who move overseas with his son. His son was born in the US and my friend is a citizen of US. Since he maintains his household, He would like to know if he can declare head of household while living abroad? Is he entitle for same standard deductions and exceptions?

Answer
Ariel,

Thanks for your question.

Assuming he is the custodial parent and otherwise qualifies for head of household, that status could be used.

I don't know what exceptions you refer to, but his exemptions, deductions, and credits would fall under he same rules for a resident citizen. Also, he may qualify got he foreign earned income exemption.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA