Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Land Value at time of inheritance

I inherited a parcel of land in the mid-2000's and have held onto it until recently.  It sold last month and I will need to report the sale on my income tax return for 2016.  I know I have to report the difference between the inherited value and the sales value for income tax purposes. How do I value the land at the time of inheritance?  There was never an appraisal done and the only information I have is the accessed tax value of the land at the time of inheritance.  Typically, the accessed value by the county is way under what the actual value is that could have been realized had I sold it at the time.  The only other information I have is what it was valued at by Zillow at the time which is just an estimate.  Thanks.

A good licensed and axperienced appraiser can value the land today at the fair market value of the land dated when you inherited it.  Depending where you are in the country, a qualified appraisal could run 400 to 6 or even 800.  But it would be well worth it in possible tax savings and audit risk "insurance".

Where are you located and would you like a referral?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell