Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Rental Property Expenses

Question
Hello John!

Thanks in advance for being an expert.  

In 2015 we had a $2600 IRA withdrawl which put our AGI at $151,057.  Since our AGI went over $150K, we are now not allowed to deduct passive losses on our rental property.  Due to renovations on this property, we had losses of over $16K. So now we are scrambling to find ways to reduce our AGI by $1,057 dollars.

Is there anything we can do?   Due to our income, it appears making an IRA contribution won't help.  We also have a consulting LLC that was just started in Dec 2015.  We have enough startup expenses to offset the $1,057 in Jan-Feb 2016...can these be expensed somehow in 2015?

Do we have any options?  This $150K threshold is really sticking it to us :-)

Chris

Answer
Chris,

Thanks for your question.

You have very limited options at this point.

You state that the business had startup expenses. Normally those are not deductible as expenses but must be amortized over 180 months beginning in the month in which the business actually begins. You are allowed to expense a limited number of these, but again, it starts with the month business in begun. This might help http://www.bizfilings.com/toolkit/sbg/tax-info/fed-taxes/start-up-costs-and-orga

That probably won't help very much as the passive loss limitations start to phase out at $100,000. You lose $1 in deductions for every $2 of AGI above $100,000.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA