Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Question



Here is my tax question
I lived and worked in NJ in 2015, got married in Dec 2015. My wife lived and worked in MA all 2015. Do not have home or any other itemized deductions. What is the bast way to file taxes. In Feb 2016 she moved to NJ.
1. Married filing separately- I will file NJ and she will file MA return
2. Federal MRJ and filing separately for states.
Or there is a 3rd option.
Please guide what is the best way to go.


9999999 times out of a million, married filing joint at the federal level will result in lower tax expense combined.  

mfj in both states with the applicable allocations - the interesting thing is that they will both be resident state returns for the one with income in each state.

hire a cpa and get it right.  :)  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.