Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Estate inheritance taxable?

Question
I am executor to a person (decedent) whose only assets at death were an old van containing a few personal belongings.  His will was entered into probate.  Since he passed, his estate has received his last SS check as well as an $8,000 inheritance from his previously deceased brother's estate, which was settled after the decedent's death.  The total value is less than $9,000.  All assets are distributed to creditors, fees, and a small amount to a beneficiary.  Do I need to file a form 1041, and do you think there is any "income"?  Since neither SS or inheritance would have been taxable to the decedent, I say there is no "income" and therefore, a 1041 is not required, but I read in the IRS pub that any estate with an executor must have a 1041.  Any help would be appreciated.

Answer
Thanks for your question.

If the social security check was made payable to the decedent, it should be included on his/her final 1040. But if below the filing threshold, no return is required. Otherwise, it would be paid to a beneficiary or to the estate.

IN order to have to file a 1041, there must be $600 or more in income. If the SS check is included on his/her final 1040, it is not estate income. The inheritance is not income. So I see no need to file a 1041.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA