Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Question

Question
Good day
Have a question about joint accounts.
If one has a foreign joint account, yet the money in the account is not his. The funds belong to a relative who is aged and needed assistance with managing the funds for a construction project the relative is doing. How does one show that the funds are not his, even though it appears to be his. Nothing has been sold so their is no income or earning.

Answer
Sam,

Thanks for your question.

In the US, if you do not make any deposits or withdrawals of your own funds, your statement that is was an accommodation for an elderly relative will be taken at face value with no tax consequences.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA