Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Tax Penalty


Thank you for taking my question. I have done some freelance work this year and will make about $15,000 gross profit and after counting credits, self-employment tax, etc., my tax bill should be approximately $1400. This is my only job (I earned only about $600 last year, since I just started doing this freelance work) and I will file as a single individual.

I recently found out I was supposed to be making quarterly estimated tax payments this year. Obviously, I have missed several of these quarterly payments; my question is, assuming I did not make any quarterly payments (although I do plan to make one this Sept, but assume none for now) what kind of penalty am I looking at come tax time?

Nominal.    But you can avoid all penalty by doing a withholding which is treated as paid pro rata and not the day made.

One easy way is to take a distribution from an IRA for say 100x.   But withhold ALL the money.   Then make your estimated payment back to the IRA within 60 days. In the amount of 100x

No tax due on the Ira because you repaid it.  But the withholding will be treated as paid earlier this years

But to be honest.   The shortfall is pretty nominal

But if you are worried you could do the Ira trick

Ps.  You can only do one rollover like this per year  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.