You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Severance Pay & Maximum Refund


Lexi wrote at 2008-07-04 11:40:17
Some severance pay is non-taxable. I do not know if you can get your back, but my severance pay was taxed naturally but I will receive every penny of it back GURANTEED. I have the necessary court documents and letter to the IRS that I received with notice of severance pay.

a wrote at 2008-09-05 09:35:32
Well said Helen.. Shame there are some people on this earth that are unappreciative.. All I can say is... B**CH!!! LOL...

Someone that feels her pain! wrote at 2009-04-18 00:06:40
Not sure what your problem is HELEN but you have an attitude and have NO business addressing her issue. I suggest you find a job doing something NOT people related.  Maybe you need to be without a job and get a severance pkg to find out what it really feels like to be taxed at what actually ends up 40% before you start slamming someone in that position.

Why? wrote at 2009-09-17 19:43:57
Why answer the question if you have to across with a serious undertone, Helen? seems as though you're very knowledgeable about taxes. Your business advise was very helpful and enlightening, no doubt!  :) -- but you should just stick with the business at hand, even when the person asking gives you their personal situation. We women should really learn to treat each other with more respect before we can effectively demand that men do. Keep it professional and chill.... Yoga works! :)

Judy wrote at 2010-01-17 00:42:27
I have to agree, Helen has no idea what this woman's situation. She sounds bitter that she is able to make enough money to NOT need the EIC. The OP worked TWENTY years with her employer, it wasn't as if she has been taking a handout.

Cheryl wrote at 2010-02-03 15:38:30
The truth today is that MOST people are NOT thrilled for a year of NOT taking a government handout. That is what is wrong with the way our handouts work.

Joe wrote at 2010-07-09 13:18:27
Helen, leave your personal opinions out of this and just answer the question without bias.  Otherwise, get a life and learn some ethics and manners!

The Lobbyist wrote at 2010-07-29 17:09:37
Oh, you answered right for American citizens. You failed to mention it does not apply to any high racking government officials.

Just ask Charles Rangel or anyone in congress or the senate or above Republican or Democrat, They are above the law.

raptor246 wrote at 2014-09-26 19:44:17
The gal who answered your question is a dumb axx, liberal femi-nazi.  Shut the fk up and answer someones question professionally next time!

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Helen P. O`Planick, EA


I am a tax professional, with experience in individual taxation. I would prefer not to answer questions about non-resident aliens or corporate taxation. Please do not ask me state related questions, unless the state is Pennsylvania. There are 42 taxing states and 42 TOTALLY different sets of state tax law.


I have been preparing tax returns almost all my life. I have been in professional practice for 25 years and I am enrolled to practice before the Internal Revenue Service.

National Association of Enrolled Agents

I am a prior Money Magazine Tax Test taker and have been quoted extensively in all media including monthly periodicals and books by tax authorities.

©2017 All rights reserved.