Tax Planning/Lease Purchase filing

Question
I purchased my home through a lease purchase in January of this year, 2012. In preparation for filing my upcoming taxes I had a question in regards in how to file purchasing my home. When I file would my lease purchase home qualify as buying a home on my tax return for this year? Would I qualify for a first time home buyer's tax credit?

Thank you

Answer
The first time home buyer credit is for home purchased in 2008, 2009 or 2010. You need your closing papers (HUD) to prove the date. So your home would not qualify. I suggest you use a software program like TurboTax (or similar) and it will guide you through all the applicable deductions.

Tax Planning

Richard S