Tax Planning/Investment deductions

Question
Hi Owen,
My wife and I are looking to buy a house to rent out for income in Oklahoma and we live in California.  We want to fly out and look at several with a realtor and buy one.  If we purchase one can we deduct our travel expenses?  If we keep very good records, can we spend a few days (not for deductions) just checking out and enjoying the sites.  What I mean is, we want to spend 3 or 4 days in selecting and applying for a house, and spend 3 or 4 days exploring the area for non purchase purposes and not deducting for the motel(s)/meals during that time
Thank you very much for your time,
David

Answer
David - That approach sounds reasonable.  However, keep in mind that you would only be able to claim the deductions if, in fact, you ended up making a purchase.  It would likely represent a cost of acquisition and be included in your depreciable basis on the property should you place it in service as a rental property.

I hope this helps.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA