Tax Planning/Investment Property

Question
Hi, and thanks for reading my question:

I bought a house in VA on August 2012, i bought it as an owner-occupant with FHA financing. I spent time and about $10k at HomeDepot to renovate the house and moved in it on February 2013.

I currently live in the house, however, I want to rent it out or rent out rooms in it (I rented out one room to a friend for a few months). In fact, I'm in the process of buying a townhouse and move into it (and rent out the first house for profit).

My question is:
Is there any benefit from considering the house as an investment on my 2012 tax? Am I allowed to?  Will the renovation money result in any tax credit to offset my wage income? or only rent income?

Answer
You can't consider it an investment property for 2012 if you lived in the property.  You can begin this as a rental or partial rental based on when you placed it inservice as such.  You can begin proportional depreciation based on the percentage of use as a rental.  The renovation money will not count.  It gets added to your basis in the property.

I hope this helps.

Tax Planning

OWEN S. ARNOFF, EA